Monday, December 8, 2014

Modern Building Blocks of the Month

This is Fig Tree's Lovely Version (Source)
My local Quilt Shop started up their yearly BOM which for them starts in October.  This year I signed up for the Third Thursday BOM (they have 2 others, First Saturday BOM and 3rd Saturday BOM).  I have to admit that I told myself I wasn't going to do it, this year I planned to get caught up on all the BOM's that have come before.  BUT then I happen to be at the LQS when they were presenting the upcoming BOM clubs and I caved.  Its easy to talk myself into it and my daughter certainly didn't help by telling me she liked this particular quilt for me.

The plan is that I will get 12 blocks, patterns with fabrics for the club sign-up fee of $5.  Well that is if I bring my finished block back each month, show it and then I receive the next block for free.  They plan to sell the little blocks in 6 block packs, then the larger blocks by themselves.  I sincerely love Fig Tree Quilts version above, however I am not certain I want to buy the large block kits, so I am considering purchasing the whole pattern itself from the Fat Quarter Shop (HERE). I like the idea of someday making it all with a two-color scrap way like this lovely Red & White set found on the Moda Blog HERE.

October Block their kit:


October Block, My fabrics:


In the meantime, I have decided to make their monthly blocks and then use my own fabrics to make a duplicate block.  Just to give you more eye-candy, check out the quilting on a finished version of the original quilt HERE

I am linking up to:
BOM's Away with Lyn @ What a Hoot Quilts

*\o/* Cheers
Shanna

Don't forget today starts this year's Giveaway Day @ Sew Mama Sew!!!


5 comments:

  1. I'm really wanting this pattern, too! I hoping to get it for Christmas and if not, I'll spend the whopping $12 to get it. lol I was thinking of a 2 toned quilt, as well. I've always loved blue and white together (like the beautiful Delft plates). We'll see....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the red and white version of this pattern. That is going to make a spectacular quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought this pattern and have hopes of getting to it at some point!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Shanna! You're right about the two-color scrapway being striking. I love your blue for this block - so, will you be going with blue tones for your second set?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like them both! Enjoy your BOM.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my readers!